30 September 2013

Romanticism of Death

I had a friend once say there is “something romantic about Death”, yet very wisely understood that it is only one's own death that is romantisied -for the remainer of us the bitterness of the one's death is cruel. My parents have long romanticised over their own death, as many people do who come to that stage in their aged life. To the uncomfort of his children, dad has for years been discussing the inheritance that each child will receive. Ironically, I realize that the paintings I have given my parents will one day return to me. Although mom doesn't often bring up the subject, she too has recently broached her own burial. My parents long ago purchased burial plots in St. George, the place that I identify as home, but now mom has recently expressed the desire to be buried in a small farming town with the roots of my family, in Goshen Idaho. I realize that I do not have many years remaining with my parent and what little is left must be cherished. 

Today I have been studying human development across the life span. As I read, I cannot help but to romantise upon my own death -when and how it might take place, and what will come of my memory. In my romaticised view, in the day that I die, I would like the vestage left behind to be burned to ashes. I would not have those ashes reside in an urn on a dusty book shelf, but rather mixed into the earth of my secrete garden with a young seedling planted above. As the colourful maple's roots penatrate deep into the soil, the reminants of my existance will give life and beauty to the world around. 


Image taken from lightcapturephoto.com