14 February 2012

Memorable Moments


I know that I've recounted the story below once before, but I thought that I might share it again, for the sake of Saint Valentine's Day. It was one of my most pleasant Valentines.  

January 2010
"The bond that is created between a volunteer and a child during the interactions that take place from week to week is something of note.  There are few things so rewarding as to arrive at the hospital and see a child’s face light up because their favorite playmate has come to play.  This bond becomes something akin to that shared between a child and parent, as the volunteer is able to observe the child grow from year to year.  Having served Primary Children’s for some years I have had many touching experiences with the children that I’ve come to know well.  As we enter spring a particular one comes to mind.

The first time I met, shall we call her “Susie”, she was an adorable preschooler with perfect manners, an even temper, and lovely laugh.  We spent many weeks playing together, and I must admit that I guiltily hoped that I would have the opportunity to play with her again the following week.  I was subtly disappointed when she was finally discharged.  I believe this was her first surgery, but as unfortunate life circumstances may be, it wouldn’t be her last.  Over the years I observed my sweet little Susie develop into a conceited little brat, but alas, I still looked forward to playing with her.  It was at such a time that I made a Valentine for her at the arts and crafts table.  She scrunched her nose, gave me a dirty look, and crushed my Valentine… and my heart.  A year or two would pass before I would see Susie again, and as age often does, she had become much subdued from her previous temperament.  As we sat and discussed what craft activity she would like to do I asked her, “Do you remember the Valentine that I made for you?”  I was surprised to hear that she did, and that she also remembered how she crushed it.  Chance had it that another Valentine’s Day was approaching, which I causally informed her of.  I asked her if she would like to make a Valentine for her mom or dad.  Agreeing, I brought scissors, paper, and glue, and we sat together making Valentines and pleasant conversation.  Of course I was making one for her, but it wasn’t until the end, when Suzie became suddenly secretive, that I realized that the Valentine that she was making was for me…"