01 January 2012

First Memories

Is it laziness that I am giving you entries from my journal rather than presenting my current life? Maybe, but something is better than nothing. I present to you two entries dated from January 2005.

"The earliest memory that I hold, and one I am not even sure is real, dates back to my toddler years. We lived in 'The Castle' as we called it, which I presume was an old victorian home on Hit Road somewhere in the Goshen area, south of Idaho Falls. I recall standing on the sofa in the living room, looking out the window into the winter night. A fresh blanket of snow covered he ground, undefiled by the trodden footsteps of man. Out of the snow I saw a white rabbit, sitting quietly. It was very peaceful. I felt safe and warm, a reflection of the home of my upbringing. My home's atmosphere, though riddled with children, conveyed feelings of peace, security, and love.

Being so young I don't know if this memory is legitimate, or if it was something that I had imagined many years later that I attributed to an earlier day. Irrespective, the image remains vague, but what is vivid is the emotional impression that has remained with me through the years.

We lived in the castle for only a brief period of my life before we moved to the Firth house. My next earliest memory takes place there. I was still a toddler in diapers. Mom had left a bag of chips on the kitchen counter and I wanted them so. When no one was looking I pulled up a stool o the counter, retrieved the chips, and then stuffed the bag in my diaper. Coming from a large family one has to make claim to all their possessions and guard their territory with vengeance. My sneakiness was a matter of protecting my interests. I then ventured out the door and hid behind the flower patch where I claimed my prize. I took the bag of chips from my diaper and savored in delight.

Once again, I am not sure of the viability of this memory, but as far as I am concerned it happened."