15 October 2010

Mystic Dragon

"Mystic Dragon" 2007
Oil on Hardboard 19.5x27.5"
Oil Painting is a rather expensive hobby to get into.  Thought it is possible to start with a minimal number of paints and brushes, and build up over time, I rather turned to eBay to get a head start.  As a result I bought a lot of 100 tubes of paint.  (There were about three tubes of each colour.  I sold many of them back, in smaller auctions, and in the end I ended up spending about $3 a tube for high quality paints, which is significantly less than they retail for.  Now days I buy most of my art supplies from www.dickblick.com.)  This painting was born out of my curiosity to see what colour each tube of paint looked like on the canvas.  Additionally, I was painting with a friend on that day and I am yet very self conscious of people watching me while I paint, thus I didn't try to attempt anything that required any degree of skill.  I began the painting by squeezing a little paint out of each tube directly on the panel, and then I proceeded to move the paint around with my brush.  The painting was given to my friend, Valerie Robins, whom I was painting with that day, and also whom has also given me much advice as I was beginning my artistic endeavors.  The abstract is titled after a small portion of the painting in the upper left hand corner, where the red brush strokes come into the yellow.  To me it looked almost like a dragon head.