18 November 2012

The Freeway Effect

In order to improve my scores I've been trying something different this past month. I stopped attending lecture and have rather been watching the recorded lectures online. There are advantages and disadvantages to each system. 'Mediasiting' a lecture allows me to go at my own pace. I can stop and pause to take notes, or I can speed it up. Many students choose to watch the lectures at double speed. I don't do it often, but I have been guilty of double-speeding lectures when I'm behind. It's interesting to note that after a few minutes have passed you forget that you are watching the lecture at an accelerated rate. Once in awhile the webpage has need to reset itself, and when that happens the lecture restarts from the cue where it left off but at normal speed. It takes a moment to realize what has happened, but before realization hits you ask your self "Why are they speaking so s-l-o-w-l-y?" I call it the Freeway Effect. Inertia is propelling forward at a pace that has not equilibrated with present.

I've always walked a little slower than most, yet my life is racing by at an uncomfortably dangerous pace. I try to take moments to enjoy the sunset, but I'm on a freeway without rest stops or lookouts. Am I to become accustom to the day disappearing into the night, or will I forever long for the slower paced life?