29 June 2012

Day Fifty-Four

The river bridge that cross every afternoon. 
I wish you could see the images of my day that I am not able to capture. The photo above really isn't interesting in any particular way. Yet as inartistically as the scene is, there is something to be said for it. Had I shot the scene, some weeks ago it would have show a man bathing along its banks. I've mentioned this before. I see the gentleman often enough, probably 4 or 5 times a week in passing. He hangs around the "Shacks" and the dining tables outside the grocery store. Some days I see him without shoes, some days with. His clothing is nearly aways torn, but not soiled. I wonder if he notices to what degree I observe him. I was discussing his situation with the taxi driver who takes me home nearly every night. He has many children, though none are believed to live here. He took an accident to his face some years ago, disfiguring his lip. It is not exactly known why he chooses to live on the streets. Speculation might say that loss has driven him. I will admit, it's a thought experiment that I've given much thought to: To live homeless, having nothing, having no one. How would I survive? I have spend many hours over the years contemplating the answers to these questions, and more. The scene I would have you see today would be of the gentleman sifting through the rubbish bin out side the grocery, hoping to find his dinner. I just had mine. I feel immense compassion when I look upon his life.