05 June 2011

In Passing

People have oft asked me how it is that I can work with sick children.  In disbelief they deny that they could ever do such themselves, stating that it takes a special kind of person to cope with the stress of nursing an ill child back to health.  The fact of the matter is children rarely let anything hold them back from playing with their whole capacity.  This attribute often disguises just how sick they may be, making it easy to forget that the child is even sick at all.

Today in passing a nurse who recognized me stopped me to inform me that one of my patients passed away recently.  This particular patient was the little girl that I've been giving oil painting lessons to.  I've worked with her for the past seven years.  She was one of my favorites.  I now know how it feels to loose a patient...